Friday, May 6, 2011

Chocolate Dulce de leche flan

I was put in charge of making a Mexican dessert for a cinco de mayo party this week. I will be honest the only Mexican dessert I have ever made is tres leches cake. I do love this cake, but decided I should branch out a little. I did what I always do and started searching the internet and all of my favorite sites. As always I found a ton of great recipes that I want to make! This is the one that really stuck out and I just had to try it.



Chocolate-Dulce de Leche Flan

Serves 8 to 10

Ingredients:

3/4 cup (210g) dulce de leche

For the cake layer:

3/4 cup (150g) sugar
3/4 cup (110g) flour
1/3 cup (35g) unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-process
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup (125ml) buttermilk or plain whole milk yogurt
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 egg, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the flan layer:

1 can (12 ounces, 340g) evaporated milk
1 can (14 ounces, 395g) sweetened condensed milk
4 eggs, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt


1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF (190ºC.) Lightly brush or spray an 8-inch (20cm) porcelain mold or cake pan (not a springform pan) with oil.


2. Smear the dulce de leche around the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Place the mold or cake pan in a larger roasting pan, which you’ll use as a double boiler for baking.


3. To make the cake layer, whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.


4. In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk or yogurt, vegetable oil, 1 egg, and vanilla.


5. Use a spatula to stir the wet ingredients into the larger bowl of dry ingredients, mixing just until combined. Scrape the batter in the mold, over the dulce de leche.


6. Make the flan layer by blending together the evaporated and condensed milks, the 4 eggs, the vanilla, and salt, until smooth.


7. Over the back of a large spoon (like a big mixing spoon), pour the flan mixture over the cake layer, using the spoon to diffuse the custard as you pour.


8. Cover the mold or cake pan loosely with foil, fill the roasting pan with very hot water, so it reaches halfway up the side of the mold, and bake for 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out relatively clean.


(Note: I found the flan took considerably longer to bake than 50 minutes; mine took practically an 1 1/2 hours. So being checking it at 50 minutes, but note that it may take longer.)


9. Once done, remove from the oven and carefully lift the custard out of the water bath wearing oven mitts, then let the flan cool to room temperature. Then refrigerate the flan until ready to serve.


To serve: Run a knife around the perimeter of the flan, then set a cake or dinner plate overturned on top of the mold or cake pan. Holding both the mold and the plate, flip the two simultaneously and shake gently, until you hear the flan release. Remove the mold. And remaining dulce de leche can be smeared back over the flan.


Storage: The flan can be kept for up to three days in the refrigerator.


Recipe source: David Lebovitz

5 comments:

  1. I just know I'd love this chocolate dulce de leche flan. What a beautiful dessert for any time of the year! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...my...I am at a loss for words to describe what i am thinking. Amazing is one but that just doesn't seem to do this justice. Fantastic...there i will end with that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no question that I HAVE to make this for my boyfrend's family. I made them David Lebovitz Dulce De Leche brownies yesterday, but they can eat dulce de leche from the can and flan is their all time favorite. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holding both the mold and the plate, flip the two simultaneously and shake gently, until you hear the flan release. Remove the mold. And remaining dulce de leche can be smeared back over the flan.
    If I were to do that, wouldn't the chocolate cake end up on top? I'm kind of lost now!

    ReplyDelete