Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Zucchini Chocolate Cake

I love zucchini. I think it is a fabulous vegetable. What other vegetables can you eat steamed, breaded, fried, shredded, in casseroles, in bread, in cookies, and in cakes? We currently have zucchini coming out our ears so I have had the opportunity to make lots of different recipes that call for them. This is another one of my mom's wonderful recipes. I honestly don't remember eating it as we were growing up, but as I get older it has definitely made its way into my memory. This wonderful cake is moist and delicious. The topping is honestly my favorite part! I'm sure I will post more zucchini recipes before the summer is over but I figured that this was a great one to start with.




Zucchini Chocolate Cake

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1 3/4 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder 
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. sour milk
4 Tbsp. cocoa
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
2 cups finely shredded zucchini
Line a 9X12 inch cake pan with tin foil and spray with cooking spray. Blend butter, oil and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla & milk. Sift dry ingredients and beat into mixture. Stir in 2 cups zucchini. Pour into 9x12 inch cake pan and sprinkle 3/4 cup brown sugar and 3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chip on top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

7 comments:

  1. Zucchini cake is always so tasty and I like the addition of the spices that add another dimension of flavor. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. having vegetables in cakes really intrigues me! I just baked a brownie using aubergines and it was awesome! am looking forward to more zucchini recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what state is the zucchini in when you put it into the cake? shredded?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never used zucchini in anything but adding chocolate to it makes it more likely that I might try something in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont know what it is but I just cannot skip any zucchini recipe I can find! I love how moist cakes turn out when using them. :)

    Tobias

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been making lots of chocolate zucchini cake these days as well! Such a great use!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bravo to mom for the recipe...chocolate and zucchini is a great combo!

    ReplyDelete