Friday, October 7, 2011

Lemon Cake with Lemon Filling

My husband and I took the long way home the other day and decided to go on one of our favorite drives. It is this beautiful drive that takes us up over one mountain and down into another valley. We accidentally stumbled upon this road when we were trying to take the scenic route home, but took the wrong scenic road. We ended up in city we weren't planning on going to, but it was totally worth the few extra miles. Luckily around here all of our cities are pretty close so it didn't take us that much longer to get home.I have been talking about the fall colors recently and how I love them. I just thought I would first share with you all a little glimpse of how our mountains are looking right now.



There still is a surprising amount of green up in the mountains so we plan enjoying the beautiful fall colors more over the next week or two.

Ok now on to more drool worthy topics. It was my brother in law's birthday last weekend and I was lucky enough to make his birthday cake. He had some very specific requests as to what kind of cake he wanted. He wanted a lemon cake with lemon filling, cream cheese frosting, and lemons dipped in sugar on it. I set out to meet this challenge, just hoping it would turn out well. I personally think that lemons are often forgotten, or not valued as they should be. I would have never thought to make him a lemon cake, but let me tell you I was sure glad that I did. The cake turned out delicious. Everyone really enjoyed the cake. The cake itself had a mild lemon flavor, the filling is tart and very lemony, and the cream cheese frosting has a little bit of tang all on its own that was absolutely delicious. I used the whipped cream cream cheese frosting that I posted the other day and it was perfect! I hope this post reminds you all of how much you love lemons!



Lemon Cake with Lemon Filling

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 1/4 cups white sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 tsp lemon extract
3/4cup milk
1/4 cup lemon juice

1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
6 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup white sugar
4 egg yolks, beaten

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 8 inch round pans. Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla, lemon extract, and lemon juice. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated.

Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Then invert onto wire racks to cool completely.

To make filling: In medium saucepan, mix together 1 tablespoon lemon zest, 1/2 cup lemon juice and 1 tablespoon cornstarch until smooth. Mix in 6 tablespoons butter and 3/4 cup sugar, and bring mixture to boil over medium heat. Boil for one minute, stirring constantly. In small bowl, with a wire whisk, beat egg yolks until smooth. Whisk in a small amount of the hot lemon mixture. Pour the egg mixture into the sauce pan, beating the hot lemon mixture rapidly. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes, or until thick (not to boil).

Pour mixture into medium bowl. Press plastic wrap onto surface to keep skin from forming as it cools. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate 3 hours.

To assemble the cake, trim off any excess on the top of each cake so that when they are placed on each other they will sit as flat as possible. Place bottom cake layer on a cake pan. Spread with lemon filling. Place second layer on top of filling. Frost as desired.


Recipe Source: Adapted from Allrecipes

16 comments:

  1. That first photo is spectacuar--and the cake looks good too. I have a bunch of lemons right now...this would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great pictures. Looks like a beautiful drive. The cake looks lovely, I am a huge fan of lemon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I looove lemon curd! Your cake came out so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never tire of lemon cake and lemon curd. Your cake is beautifully decorated and I'm looking forward to trying your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cake is stunning! I am sure it is just amazing. I love all the leaves of fall - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cake looks so beautiful and sounds delicious! I love your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yum!! I have always preferred lemon cake over other flavors, even chocolate. This one looks fantastic!

    Also, beautiful pictures of the mountains. We're enjoying views like that here right now. Isn't is awesome!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cake looks delicious! I love how you've played with those lemon slices! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy the colors a little for me! I live in GA with all green trees...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This cake screams lemon goodness! Looks sweet and delicious. Will have to keep the recipe on hand - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just made this for Thanksgiving dinner (not traditional, but what can I say, I'm a rebel) it disappeared before the pumpkin or pecan pie were even touched - I frosted with lemon buttercream, and it was the perfect compliment of tangy and sweet, and my entire house smells amazing now - thank you for this one I'll be making another very soon!

    ReplyDelete