Friday, April 1, 2011

Start the morning off right!

I am always looking for healthy ways to start the morning. I have always been a HUGE breakfast lover but as I grow up (kinda) I have tried to make my breakfasts more with whole grains and other healthy stuff. I have recently gotten into green smoothies which I love but I don't always have the fresh fruit and veggies on hand needed. This is also something I can put in a container and bring with me to work. I hope you enjoy.

Steel Cut Oat and Quinoa Oatmeal

1 cup steel cut oats
1/4 a cup quinoa
2 1/2 cups water
1/2 tsp cinnamon (I use fresh ground cinnamon)
1/4 - 1/2 cup cream, half and half or milk
2-4 tbs honey
Fresh fruit (optional)

Rinse and drain quinoa. Combine oats, quinoa, water, and cinnamon in a rice cooker. Turn it on and let it do its thing. When oats are soft, quinoa has opened, and all the water has absorbed add the cream and honey mix well. Add fresh fruit if desired. Enjoy!

Note - The cream just gives it more of a creamy texture. You could also use milk in place of the water while cooking which also gives it a creamy texture but you have to watch it very closely because it will boil over and make a mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment